Monday, July 16, 2012


Looking for Wonder
I wasn't even aware of the wonder just outside my own window.

When the phone rang that morning I was somewhere between sleep and awake, but not yet out of bed. My son-in-law was calling to let me know there was a big buck in our yard. He knew I'd think that was a thing to behold, and he was right.

Drowsy horizontal quickly turned into groggy upright and I searched the recesses of my sluggish brain to see if somewhere information regarding the whereabouts of my camera might be retrievable. Aha - the desk! By the time I removed the lens cap and slowly eased up the shade, my early visitor and his two lady friends had made it across the street, ambling ever so slowly, gracefully across the field. I got off a couple shots through the window and then carefully, ever so carefully eased open the front door to watch the beautiful creatures.


I saw a car make its way down the street and I wondered if the driver would see what I saw. He did. The 3 deer saw him, too, as they became instantly alert. But not overly alarmed, apparently, as they continued their morning munching, satisfied that no harm was imminent. Inspired by that, I grabbed my keys and jumped in my car with the hopes of obtaining a couple more close-up shots of their soulful chocolate eyes, his velvet antlers. Mister lifted his head to me as if to say, "Are you just looking?" Satisfied,  he let me look my fill and I marveled at what God had made.


I wonder how often we miss the wonder. Sometimes, as in this instance with my deer friends, we don't even know it's there. But other times, we see it so much we fail to see it. The blues and greys in the sky above, the wispy cloud fingers. My friend's quick smile. The multitudes of green in the landscape. The sparkle of diamonds in my grandson's eye.


There's a Third Day song that goes like this:

“Lord of all creation
Of water, earth, and sky
The heavens are Your tabernacle
Glory to the Lord on High.

God of wonders, beyond our galaxy
You are holy, holy
The universe declares Your majesty
You are holy, holy
Lord of heaven and earth.”



I'm grateful for unexpected wonders like my trio of early callers that morning. You can be sure I'll be on the watch for them again. I am greedy for more. But the thing is - all manner of more is all around me. I need only to look, really look. Look, and give thanks to the God of all wonders.


"Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare."  Psalm 40:5 (NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment