Saturday, June 16, 2012

An "Oldie but Goodie" for an "Oldie but Goodie"

June 20, 2002

Dear Dad,

On Father’s Day Pastor Chip told us his son, Ben, reminded him he needed to write a letter to his father, like he had done to his mom on Mother’s Day. Pastor said the same applied to us, and he was right.

I’m sure you’ve heard this famous Mark Twain quote: “When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned.”

It’s really quite amazing how much you have in common with Mark Twain’s father. You have gotten so much smarter and wiser than you were when I was a kid! It’s equally amazing to come to the understanding that you were always so, and this letter is to tell you exactly that.

There are many reasons why I’m grateful for you, among them:

●How industrious you always were, always working, always finishing what you started; we always knew our Dad could fix anything!

●How hard you worked, being willing to take a second job to provide for your family; how you cared for what you had and taught your children the same; how important it was not to waste what you were given (although why you and Mom insisted on even eating burned cookies – so as to not let them “go to waste” – is beyond me!)

●How patient you were, whether it was teaching a kid to drive a car or waiting for him or her to come to his or her senses!

●How you loved our mother, your kids, your country – and every furry friend whose wagging tail ever switched across your path!

Thanks, Dad. You are a great one!

Love, Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment