Monday, December 26, 2011

Montananana in Wisconsin


Ever since my older of the two grandsons came back to Montana from his Hawaiian birthplace it's been my desire to be a local nana. Week-long drive-in or fly-in visits were fine, but I wanted to experience the "every day-ness" of grandparenting. You know -- the attend the concerts, help in the classroom, drop in for a minute, be there for emergencies sort of grandparenting.

It's been just about a year now that my Montananana adventure began. We own a small house in Livingston, Mt with a great porch that looks out on a spectacular view of the mountains. My two little guys are a 15 minute walk over and a 20 minute walk back (there's a hill that my almost 60 year old self doesn't love to climb). I've been able to read to 2nd graders, take the preschooler to story time and babysit when needed. Great stuff. And I can't say enough about the landscape - I LOVE the West. Yellowstone is an hour away and I've even driven down there twice alone (more fun with my husband -- you can say "look at that why don't you!" and someone might even answer!!).

But it's the "aloneness" that's the problem. Too much of it. My husband's still working in Wisconsin and though we thought we might be able to swing permanent retirement and a complete move to Montana by this summer, the economy and sickly housing market seems to be preventing that. I'll continue to be spending some time in the Badger State and some in Big Sky Country. And this Montananana will be happy with that.

1 comment:

  1. I am excited to see you in your blog on a regular basis! Love the first article. Being a hands on grandma has got to be so much fun! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete