Friday, February 14, 2014

VALENTINE'S DAY


Valentine's Day. Some love it, some hate it, and for others - they can take it or leave it. I take it, but as with most things, just my way.

Me, I am not a hearts and flowers type of girl. Roses, tulips, lilies - all are pretty, but they don't float my boat. I'd rather look at them waving their pretty blooms at me from outside on a glorious sunny day rather than overpriced and wilting in a container.

Chocolates in a lace-trimmed heart box? Ehh, not that either. I would just eat them, I don't really need to eat them and there's not a doubt that I'd finish off all the good ones: the milk chocolates with the creamy white stuff inside, or the peanuts or the caramel or the butter brickle. Those, yes, those I'd scarf. No dark chocolate, though - nyet, nein,non and no. Oh, and absolutely NO coconut of any kind. Shudder.

OK, then. How about a fancy dinner out at some high end, trendy spot? On Valentine's Day? So many folks, so much money, and so often not such good food. Besides, you know what? I'm not a fan of what is known in our family-speak as "shi-shi, la-la" menu items that have to be explained, are all sauced-up, pretentious and cause my very simple palate to cringe. Nope, not eating that green stringy stuff or any of those creatures who were formerly good swimmers. All my entrees used to moo, oink or cluck and not a one of them needs to ever cost more than $10-$15. Besides, as good intentioned as the restaurant waitstaff may be, I don't relish being asked 4-5 times during my meal if everything is OK. I will let you know if it isn't.

That leaves jewelry. Ah, yes. If jewelry is "hearts and flowers," then I take it back. I guess I AM a hearts and flowers type of girl. I like the costume stuff and I like the good stuff. I like the sparkly stuff, the silver stuff and the gold stuff, the red ones, the blue ones and especially the ones that are known as a girl's best friend. The only kind I don't care for are those baubles grown in the sea (remember that issue I have with eating aquatic things? don't like pearly things, either). My husband knows this and has gifted me over the years with a beautiful bauble collection. As I write, I'm wearing the diamond heart pendant he proudly proffered one long ago Valentine's Day; I showed it off to the Kindergarteners I read to today - the little girls were suitably impressed! I treasure every piece he's ever given and look forward to passing all of it on to my kids some day.

But when I stop to ponder - and pondering is good for the soul, I believe - I realize that some of the best Valentine-y things I've been given aren't really things at all.

Happy Faces: I loved how much fun we used to have each February 14 when our girls were little, drinking our pink-tinged milk or jazzed up red Kool-Aid at Valentine's Day supper, eating our rosey-colored yeast rolls with our heart-shaped meatloaf (it's even fun to hear them gag today as they reminisce about those long ago ketchup-slathered things!);

Glue-y Art Projects: Those first "I Love You, Mom's" crayon-scrawled on pink construction paper, lop-sided hearts attached with way too much sticky stuff. I still have some. I wouldn't sell them, but I'll tell you, if you asked to buy them they'd cost more money than you've got.

Acts of Love: I didn't get a hearts and flowers marriage proposal (hmmm, did I even get an official proposal??) but I sure got a marriage. A long one - 42 years at last count. I got faithful. I got hard working. I got honorable. I got generous. I got God-honoring. I got 3 beautiful daughters. I got a great son-in-law and 3 adorable grandchildren. I got a man who, because he didn't want me to have to spend 12 days out here in Montana without a car at my disposal, left Wisconsin at 4:00am and drove a straight shot 20 hours west, leaving the car he best likes to drive here for me; he then flew back two days later and has to tool around (or slide around, actually, since we are up to our eyeballs in winter this year) in the little car. Now, THAT'S a Valentine!

Some say Valentine's Day is a made up holiday. It's too much pressure. It's fake. It's too hard on those without "significant others." But I say Valentine's Day is a reminder. It's a nudge. It's an opportunity. It's a chance to tell those who share your life, whether at home or school or church or work or those who just cross your path during the day - that they matter. That they really matter. And more than tell, to show. With simple words, simple things, in simple ways or even in grandiose gestures, if that gets your (and their!) motor running.

Tonight part of my family will be with me and part not. Two of the smallest parts requested spaghetti and tomato soup for supper. Simple and kind of Valentine-y red, don't you think?  The two little guys who requested that menu matter to me, and I'm going to show them that they do. Happy Valentine's Day!


1 John 4:9-11 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.






No comments:

Post a Comment