Sunday, January 1, 2012

In the Beginning...


Nana, why is the sky blue?”

Hmmmm, I thought. What exactly did I learn about that, way back when? Not knowing what else to say, I replied in my very best “I-know- what-I’m-talking-about” Grandma voice: “Well, Bobby, God just made it like that.”

The website Faqkids.com gets a little more “scientific”. “White sunlight is really a lot of different colors of light mixed together. Some colors of light travel through air and dust better than others. Red goes a long, long way. But blue light gets bounced around a lot. Our blue sky is blue light that has been bounced out of sunlight by gazillions of molecules of air.”

Same thing, really. Maybe just a little more “wordy.”

Many years ago, referring to Genesis 1:1, my Wisconsin pastor said that if you believed that first verse of the Bible then you could believe the rest of Scripture. “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth,” And I do believe it. God made the sky. He made the sun. And the white sunlight...and the red...and the blue. From molecules to mountains, there is nothing made that was made that He did not make! It was all His big idea, and it is very good.

I think about that when I look out my front window here in Montana and I gaze upon God’s Absarokas. My, my—what magnificence! Those great mountains stand proudly, pointing upward to their Source. Psalm 65:6 reminds me that it was God “who formed the mountains by (His) power.” Sometimes the sky surrounding those mountains is brilliant blue and sometimes….oh, sometimes it’s streaked with brilliant orange and pink fingers, even purples and greys or dotted with fluffy cotton clouds. That window has become my “praising place” as I stand and thank Him for allowing me to witness His artistry.

So, while there’s a good case to be made for understanding the scientific whys and wherefores of the natural world, I believe it’s even more critical to believe and understand those marvelous words, “In the beginning, God…”

No comments:

Post a Comment